About The Artist
Carl Jeppe was born in Krugersdorp, South Africa in 1949. He attended school at St. John’s College in Johannesburg and studied Fine Art at Technikon Pretoria, (now Tshwane University of Pretoria). After working as a prop maker at P.A.C.T. for three years, Carl, his wife Lynn and two friends (all Technikon Alumni) opened their own art school: Art Studios Pretoria, where he developed a love for teaching and increased his passion for drawing.
In 1976 he held his first solo exhibition at the Arts Association, Pretoria, and started teaching part – time at Technikon Petoria. In 1981 Carl was appointed as a full-time staff member of Technikon Pretoria and has remained with the institution ever since. He obtained his Higher Diploma in 1984 and on a part-time basis he presented weekly life drawing lectures at the University of Pretoria (Tuks) from 1988 until 2002. In 2000 he was invited to present lectures and drawing workshops at Michigan State University, and while in America, visited the Art Institute of Chicago and Detroit Institute of Arts.
Carl has had Solo exhibitions in Johannesburg, Pretoria and White River, and has taken part in over 90 group exhibitions. In 2012 he was a guest artist at the Rotary Hyde Park Art Fair. His work is represented in collections worldwide.
Carl has made opening speeches at many exhibitions, both for individual artists and at group shows, and has been on judging panels for several competitions, including New Signatures; Absa Atelier; Art Alive; Art lovers 1932 Gallery; Centurion Arts Association; The Pretoria Eisteddfod; The National Eisteddfod; Webber Wentzel Young Artists Awards and the Watercolour Society of South Africa.
His biggest solo exhibition to date (119 works) was called "Nothing Cast in Stone" and was held at the University of Johannesburg Art (UJ) Gallery in June/July 2016. This show also featured a young sculptor, Lwandiso Njara. In 2017 he had a solo show at Art Lovers 1932, His drawing group had an exhibition at Tina Skukan Gallery and his work was represented at the Turbine Art Fair by the Millennium Gallery.
Carl Retired from TUT so that he could pursue his art career, although he was retained to lecture a few classes, and gave a drawing workshop to the second year Fine Arts students at Tuks in 2013 and in 2016. This year, (2017) he’s back at Tuks presenting drawing courses to the first and second year Fine Arts students.
Carl loves the challenge of presenting drawing workshops wherever possible, and has done so at Phokeng near Rustenburg, Thapong in Botswana, Bethal and Nelspruit in Mpumalanga, and at Clarens in the Free State. He holds regular figure drawing workshops, both tutored and untutored, in Pretoria at the Arcadia Scout hall, Beckett Street, Arcadia.
Carl has completed several portrait commissions, including Adelaide Tambo, Errol Tyobeka, Carol-Anne Benn; Leigh Bennie; Enver Surty; Naledi Pandor and Heyneke Meyer. He has painted portraits of two headmistresses of Pretoria High School for girls: Mrs Kitto and Mrs Mcnair.
Carl has been instrumental in the designs of a series of coins for the S.A. Mint and is a member of the advisory committee for the design department of the S.A. Mint.
Carl was one of the three judges at the 2017 Sanlam Portrait Awards competition in Cape Town in August.
||Born in Krugersdorp.
||Matriculated St. John's College, Johannesburg.
||Enrolled at Pretoria College for Advanced
||Exhibited at Highpoint Hillbrow Exhibition.
||Joined P.A.C.T. to make theatre props.
||Co-founder of "Art Studios Pretoria".
||Solo Exhibition at S.A. Association of Arts, Natal. Nedbank
Building, Church Square, Pretoria.
||Served on "New Signatures" Selection Committee. (Also in 1979, 1981, 1982 and 1984)
||Solo exhibition, Crake Gallery, Norwood,
Johannesburg. Appointed part-time lecturer, Technikon
- Three-man Exhibition, with Walter Koch and Danie de Wet at S.A.
Arts Assoc. N.Tvl.
- Elected to Council of S.A. Association of Arts, N.Tvl. (served until 1984)
- Work bought by the Pretoria Art Museum.
||Obtained National Diploma in Fine Art.
- Appointed full time lecturer, Technikon Pretoria. Now TUT
- Exhibition at Republic Festival Durban.
- Work bought by Human Science Research Council (HSRC).
- Illustrated the PhD. Thesis for Dr. Louise du Plessis study on the
sexual behaviour of South Africans. The study was done at the HSRC.
|| Obtained National Higher Diploma, Fine Art.
|| Exhibited with U.N.I.S.A., University of Pretoria and Technikon lecturers at the Ivan Soloman Gallery.
|| Exhibited with Technikon staff at Scweikerdt`s Gallery, Brooklyn Circle,
- Exhibition with Technikon lecturers, Pretoria Art Museum.
- Exhibition at Aleta Micheletos Gallery. Group show: "The Nude".
- Commissioned to draw six portraits of senior personnel, for the Department of Post and Telecommunications.
- Exhibited at Grahamstown Arts Festival.
- Presented workshop at Soshanguve Teacher' Training College, Bophuthatswana.
- Appointed part-time lecturer, University of Pretoria, Fine Art Department.
- Exhibited on "Woman" Exhibition, Everard Read Gallery, Johannesburg.
- Exhibited with U.P. lecturers at Middelburg satellite Campus.
- Exhibited on "Queens" Exhibition, Michael de Kock Gallery.
- Exhibited on "Christian Artists" Exhibition, Johannesburg Teacher's Training College.
- Exhibited at Gideon Rousseau Art Gallery.
- Exhibited with Technikon lecturers at S.A. at Association of Art, N.Tvl.
- Exhibited on "Art Alive" at Ruddle Theatre, Waterkloof House Preparatory School (WHPS).
- Exhibited on Standard Bank National Drawing Competition.
- Served on selection comittee for "Art Alive" - Ruddle Theatre.
- Exhibited on "Art Alive" show.
- Exhibited with Technikon lecturers, Ivan Soloman Gallery.
- Represented South Africa at "Bio-91", an international exhibition of contemporary art, held bi-annually in Portugal.
- Exhibited on "South African Art" Exhibition, Macau, S.E. Asia.
- Commissioned to draw portraits of Post Office senior personnel.
- Commisioned to make a series of cartoon safety posters for the National Occupational Safety Association (NOSA).
- Served on selection committee for "Art Alive," WHPS.
- Exhibition at "Generation Art" Gallery, Pretoria.
- July: Exhibited on "Art Alive".
- Served on selection committee, Southern Transvaal Potters Association. Regional competition, Vanderbijlpark.
- Exhibited on "19 Artists" Exhibition, at Intersaal, U.P.
- Exhibited at "Africa Erotica" - the inaugral exhibition of The Artists' Cooperative Gallery, Midrand.
- Commisioned to do illustrations for an article on back ailments, by Professor G.F. Dommisse.
- Exhibited on Kempton Park Contemporary Art Competition.
- Commisioned to paint portrait of the late Judge Ben Franklin.
- Initiated short course in drawing at Technikon Pretoria.
- Exhibited at Aleta Micheletos Gallery, "In Pursuit of Excellence"
- Exhibited at Pretoria Art Museum, "Pretoria Artists, 1963-1993."
- Assisted South African Embassy in Venda to display an exhibition of work by Venda artists at the South African embassy, Thoyhoyandou, Venda.
- Commissioned to draw portrait of the new M.D. of the Post Office, Mr. Diedricks.
- Exhibited figure drawings at the Drostdy Gallery,
along with other artists who were involved in John Mehl's life drawing group.
- Selected sculptors in Venda for "Introduction to Venda Arts" exhibition, held at S.A. Association of Arts, N.Tvl.
- Exhibited at Unisa Art Gallery "Artists from the greater Pretoria region".
- Moderated life drawing and techniques for Third year Graphic Design students at Vaal Triangle Technikon.
- Commissioned by Southern Book Publishers to illustrate a book entitled "Better Sex" by Dr. Paul, presenter of "Sexually Speaking" on Talk Radio 702.
- Presented drawing workshop at Hatfield Christian Church.
- Invited to Vaal Triangle Technikon to crit work done by 3rd year Graphic Design students.
- Dr. Paul's book "Better Sex" published in June.
- Visited Venda on behalf of S.A. Assoc. of Arts to select sculptures for an exhibition In Pretoria and Cape Town, sponsored by Sanlam.
- Exhibited student work in Pietersburg.
- Served on "Art Alive" judging panel at W.H.P.S.
- Exhibited at "Art Alive" exhibition at W.H.P.S.
- Served on judging panel with Katinka Kempf for "be My Guest" promotional art exhibition at Menlyn.
- Selector at Sasol "New Signatures" at S.A. Association of Arts.
- Exhibited at Klaus Wasserthal in Barclay Square.
- Exhibited at Campus Gallery, University of Pretoria Lecturer's exhibition.
- Exhibited at Adriaan Boshoff Gallery.
- Exhibited with Technikon staff and students at British Consul, Maseru, Lesotho.
- Moderated techniques and life drawing at Vaal Triangle Technikon 3rd year graphic design students.
- Exhibited on "Miniatures" exhibition, Cafe de Pallette, Pretoria Art Museum
- Exhibited with Technikon staff and Higher Diploma students at Schweickerdt's gallery.
- Exhibited at Johannesburg Biennale, ABSA Gallery.
- Exhibited at Pietersburg Museum.
- Exhibited at Krugersdorp.
- Convenor, selection committee for "Arts Alive" at W.H.P.S.
- Opening speaker, "Arts Alive".
- Exhibited with Barbara Jeppe (mother), Leigh Voigt (sister), Marie McRae (sister), David Jeppe (brother), Max Voigt (nephew), Walter Voigt (nephew) at "The Studio," Johannesburg.
- Commissioned to do potrait of new CEO of Post Office.
- Commissioned to do cover for 1996 Consol Glass calender.
- Exhibited at Pretoria Art Museum, on "Masters and Protegee" exhibition.
- Exhibited at Centurion Gallery, "Life Drawing" exhibition.
- Exhibited at Pretoria Art Museum, Cafe de Palette.
- Exhibited at Pretoria University: "Through the Eye of a Rainbow" exhibition.
- Commissioned to make poster for the SA Navy: "South Africa is a Maritime Nation".
- Judged work on "Arts Alive" exhibition at WHPS. Exhibited at WHPS.
- Judged work on "Archneer" competition, Pretoria University Campus Gallery.
- Exhibited at drawing exhibition, University of Pretoria.
- Exhibited with Technikon Fine Art Department, staff exhibition, at Centurion Gallery.
- Commissioned to draw Portrait of Architect Willem Steyn.
- Exhibited at Aleta Micheletos Gallery.
- Exhibited at Tina Skukan Gallery, Faerie Glen Pretoria.
- Exhibited at inaugral exhibition of Millenium Gallery, Groenkloof, Pretoria.
- Exhibited at St. Mary's DSG Art Expo '97.
- Exhibited on "A Little Big Thing" exhibition, Thompson Gallery, Melville, Johannesburg.
- Exhibited at "Freelance Figures" exhibition, Terre Verte Gallery, Overzicht Village Pretoria.
- Exhibited at Millenium Gallery.
- Exhibited at "Art Alive" WHPS.
- Exhibited at "Tina Skukan Gallery".
- Exhibited at "The Art Show", African Window.
- Exhibited at Buchel Gallery.
- Presented figure drawing workshop at Pretoria University, to 2nd year Information Design students.
- Lecturing figure drawing to 1st year fine art students at Pretoria University.
- Exhibited with staff and students at "The Art Show 99" at the African Window Museum
- Exhibited at Gallery Vos "Miniatures" exhibition
- Moderated drawing and graphic techniques at Vaal Triangle Technikon
- Moderated drawing, painting, printmaking and sculpture at the Johannesburg Art Foundation
- Moderated drawing and Fashion illustration at The North West Technikon
- Opening speech at the Willow Ridge High School prize-giving and exhibition.
- Invited to Michigan State University (MSU) as Guest artist and lecturer.
- Exhibited at Kresge Art Centre, MSU, with Staff of Technikon Pretoria and Technikon Port Elizabeth.
- Gave Speeches on Contemporary South African Art and on my own work.
- Visited Detroit Art Institute`s exhibition of van Gogh`s portraits.
- Visited Chicago Art Institute, and National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, London.
- Judged Centurion Gallery "Artist of the year."
- Drawing workshop with Pentagraph Advertising agency.
- Exhibited at Tina Skukan Art Gallery.
- Exhibited at African Window Museum with Technikon staff and
- Opening speech at exhibition of work by students of John and Elsa Blem Art School. Centurion Art Gallery.
- Exhibited at Brooklyn Art Gallery.
- Guest Artist at "Calabash." (North West Province Cultural Festival and Exhibition.)
- Presented drawing workshop, at Mmabaneng Cultural Centre.
- Opening speaker at "Calabash" Art Exhibition.
- Took part in a group exhibition at the Cinema Nouveau complex in Brooklyn Mall.
- Made opening speech at Glenwood Contemporary Art Gallery. Artists were two newcomers to the art scene: Leon Fourie and Rainier Prins.
- Presented second three-day life drawing workshop.
- Judged works at Art Alive, WHPS. Exhibited at Art Alive. Sold Zebra drawing.
- Exhibited Land issue series at Everard Read Gallery in Jhb. Sold.
- Presented third three-day life drawing workshop.
- Gave a talk at the Vaal Triangle Technikon on drawing in general and on my own work. This was part of the Drawing Marathon.
- Gave a talk on my work at the Architecture Department of The Technikon Pretoria.
- Started Saturday Life drawing classes at The Studio, Jhb.
- Exhibited at Gallery 88 in Sasolburg. Drawing exhibition with Erica Hibbert, Avi Sooful, Ian Marley, Maggie van Schalkwyk and Diane Victor.
- Opening speech at exhibition of work by students of John and Elsa Blem at Centurion Gallery.
- Exhibited at Marcella De Boom's Aldebran Gallery in Cullinan. Exhibition theme: In Praise of the Human Hand.
- Moderated drawing for Graphic Design Department, Vaal Triangle Technikon.
- Moderated Drawing for fine art department, Vaal triangle Technikon.
- Exhibited with lecturers of the Technikon Pretoria, Department of Fine and Applied Arts, Old Arts Gallery, University of Pretoria. The work,"Sometimes they give, sometimes they don`t" was bought by the Peake Collection.
- Exhibited at the Arts Association, Mackie Street, at "Erotica" Exhibition.
- Exhibited at Aldebran Studio, Cullinan. Exhibition was called,
"Body Beautiful." Also made opening speech at the exhibition.The speech was published in the Cullinan newspaper.
- Exhibited at the Tshwane "Big Event" which was held at the
sports centre, University of Pretoria. Also helped to hang the
exhibition. The work "Sometimes they give, sometimes they
don't" was kindly lent by the Peake collection for this event.
- Made opening speech at Design School of Southern Africa
student exhibition. The exhibition was held at the S.A.
Association of Arts, Mackie Street, Pretoria. Also invited to be on
the committee of the Design School.
- Made opening speech at "Art Alive" Exhibition, W.H.P.S. Also exhibited there.
- Exhibited at the "Mind's i" Art Space. Exhibition called,
"Fine Line." Other artists include Diane Victor, John Clarke,
Elizabeth Gunther, Diek Grobler, John Clarke, Michele Nigrini,
Retha Buitendach, Gustav Vermeulen, Bertie Du Plessis,
Christo Basson, Gill Taylor, Anna-Carien Goosen, Berco Wilsenach.
- Exhibited at Carol Lee Fine Art in Johannesburg. Exhibition
called "Figment." Other artists include Jaco Roux, Pat Mautloa,
Andre Naude, Cyril Coetzee, Rudolph Tshie, Rudolph Vosser and Cobus Haupt.
- Awarded the "Bronze Acorn" by the South African Association of Arts.
- Judged "See me, Feel me" Art competition, hosted by Retina S.A. and
sponsored by Sage Life.
- Exhibited at Penny Baillie Art Studio Exhibition; 2003.
- Commissioned by Daimler Chrysler to make a presentation drawing of members of the board of directors.
- Opening speech at Angela Banks Masters Degree exhibition at Centurion Gallery
- Judged Artwork at Alet Wessels Gallery Art competition.
- Moderated Drawing and Techniques for Vaal triangle Technikon and Vaal Triangle Technikon Kempton Park Campus.
- Moderated Drawing for third year Fine Arts students at Vaal TriangleTechnikon.
- Guest speaker at Awards Ceremony of the Design School of Southern Africa.
- Exhibited at Frieda van Schalkwyk Art Consulting Gallery, Pretoria University.
- Exhibited at Gordon Froud Art Gallery, Mellville, Johannesburg.
- February: Exhibited in group show "Valentine`s Day" at Arts Association Pretoria.
- April: Ran seven half-marathons, including Two Oceans 21,1 km race, Cape Town.
- May Made opening speech at exhibition of "Artists Direct" Four women artists. Upstairs @ Bamboo, Melville, Johannesburg.
- Made opening speech at solo exhibition of John Campbell, Painter.
- Made opening speech at exhibition of drawings by students of the Arts Association Figure Drawing Group.
- June: Exhibited at "Art of Drawing" exhibition, Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, Durbanville, Western Cape.
- July: Exhibited at "Arts Alive" show, W.H.P.S
- Exhibited at "Expressions" Gallery, Bellville, Western Cape.
- August: Judged Artworks for Retina SA.
- September: Invited to exhibit portraits in group show sent to Chicago, U.S.A by "art.co.za"
- Commissioned to Make Bronze sculpture for launch of new internet communications company.
- November: Invited to exhibit in Johannesburg, group exhibition at Gordon Froud Gallery.
- Moderated Graphic design: drawing and techniques at Vaal University of Technology, Kempton Park campus.
- Exhibited with Alistair Pringle, Hardus Koekemoer, Diek Grobler, Ernest Korkie and Petru Lotter at 26 A Nicholson Street, Bailey`s Muckleneuk.
- Traveled to England Visited the Royal Academy Summer Show; National Gallery; National Portrait Gallery; Tate Modern and Tate Britain.
- July: Exhibited at "Art Alive", Waterkloof House Preparatory School.
- September: Exhibited 14 portraits of prominent South African woman at "Women 2005" at the Santon Convention Centre
- October: Received a medal from ABSA Bank for my contribution to Art.
Opened an exhibition of my own student`s work in johannesburg at "The
Made opening speech at the opening of the exhibition: Vars Produkte in
Cullinnan. The Artists were: Blyde van den Bergh, Kobus la Grange; Danie
Nel and Cornelia Stoop.
- November: Moderated Drawing for Graphic Design at Vaal University of Technology,
Vanderbijlpark and Kempton Park.
- February: Guest artist at the Pretoria Art Museum Centurion Gallery, along with
- March: Commissioned to paint portrait of Dr. Adelaide Tambo, widow of Oliver
Tambo and Chancellor of TUT. Also of Professor Errol Tyobeka, Vice
Chancellor and principal of TUT.
- April: Exhibited at the SA Association of Arts, exhibition commemorating the birth of
- June: Exhibited at "ART ALIVE" Ruddel Theatre, W.H.P.S.
Made opening speech at the first solo exhibition of Anna-Marie Stone,
at "The Student`s" Gallery, the Yard, Hatfield.
- July: Commissioned to paint portraits of the minister of Education, Naledi Pandor,
and the Deputy Minster, Mohammed Enver Surty.
- August: Attended the 44th congress of the South African Gastroenterology Society
(SAGES) to draw portraits of the delegates.
Gave a five-day drawing workshop at the Thapong Visual Arts Centre,
Gaberone, Botswana from 14-08-06 to 18-08-06.
Commissioned to paint portraits of the Minister of Education, Dr. Naledi
Pandor, and the Deputy Minister, Mohammed Enver Surty
- October: Gave Power point presentation on my own work, plus gave a figure-drawing
demonstration, and workshop at Vaal University of Technology (VUT)
Made Opening speech at Ingrid Kolzing`s exhibition, Hartebeestpoort.
- November: Commissioned to paint a portrait of the Chairperson of the TUT Council,
Mr. Vusi Matlhare.
Attended art workshop at the Beaujolais Nouveau Festival; French-South
African Chamber of Commerce, at "The Campus," Johannesburg.
Opened the exhibition of work by students of Yvette Mybergh, at Allette
Member of Advisory Committee, VUT Graphic Design department.
- January: Exhibited at Arts Association, Members` Exhibition
Exhibited at Karroo Art House Group exhibition.
- February: Exhibited at Nu-Art Gallery on Zambezi Drive.
- April: Exhibited at "Saint Sebastian" exhibition at the S. A. Arts Association.
Exhibited at Karroo Art House gallery (again)
Exhibited at Pretoria Country club Deloitte and Touche exhibition.
- July: Selection committee for W.H.P.S Art Alive Exhibition.
Exhibited at Arts Alive, W.H.P.S (they bought St. Sebastian)
- September : Exhibited at the University of Johannesburg : "Draft" Exhibition of
drawings. Other exhibitors: Ian Marley, Gustav Vermeulen;Jaco van den
Heever and Diane Victor.
- November: Moderated Drawing, Fine Arts 3 at VUT
Moderated Drawing Graphic design 3 and Photography 3 at VUT.
Made opening speech at ex-student Tharien Smith`s exhibition in Johannesburg
- June: Exhibited at "Miniatures" group show, D.S.G. Hillcrest Pretoria
- July: Exhibited at "Arts Alive," group show, W.H.P.S. Brooklyn, Pretoria.
- September: Exhibited at "Reflect, Refuel" group show, Association of Arts, Pretoria.
Solo Exhibition: "Archiving the present" at ABSA Gallery in Johannesburg.
Attended "Drawing Marathon" at Studio Collective, Irene, Centurion.
Exhibited at "A Thin Line" group exhibition, Platform on 18th, Rietondale,
- January: Solo exhibition "Archiving the present" at White River Gallery, Casterbridge Centre, White River.
- February: "The Great South African Nude" Group exhibition at Everard Read Gallery, Rosebank, Johannesburg.
- March: Judge at Northern Gauteng Region of the ABSA Atelier Competition.
- "Saint Sebastian" Group exhibition, SA Arts Association, Pretoria.
- Motivational Speech at S.A.Design School, Pretoria and Johannesburg.
- May: Opening speech at Penny Baillie exhibition, Arts Association, Pretoria.
- Judge at Pretoria Eisteddfod.
- June: Presented two drawing workshops at the Phokeng Arts Centre, Royal Bafokeng Community.
- July: Visited the UK for three weeks. Visited Art Galleries in Windsor,
- London, Oxford, Sheffield, Buxton, Windermere, Exeter and Colyton.
- September: Judged the work and selected the prizewinners from the Art Department, Pretoria High School for Girls.
- Opening speech at the Annual Exhibition, P.G.H.S.
- Commissioned to paint portrait of Mrs. Alison Kitto, ex-Headmistress at P.H.S.G.
- Speech at the Pretoria Country Club (On the history of the Club)
- Judge at Webber Wentzel Young Artists Awards.
- Exhibited at Blue Gallery, Potchefstroom. (Group exhibition)
- Opening speech at exhibition at the Magpie Gallery. Exhibition of Alumni
- work: Steven Delport; Justice Mokoena; M.J.Lourens (Tuks); Francois Smit.
- Exhibited at National Cultural History Museum. (Group exhibition)
- March: Exhibition: "Passages" with Ariana van Heerden, at David Brown Fine Art, Keyes Avenue, Rosebank, Johanesburg.
- Gave motivational speech at Design Shool of Southern Africa, Brooklyn Pretoria.
- April: Solo exhibition "Studio Raid" at Arts Association, Pretoria
- Opening Speech at Marina Louw Figure painting exhibition Arts Association, Pretoria.
- July: Judge at Pretoria Eisteddfod
- August: Judge at Webber Wentzel Young Artists Awards, Johannesburg.
- February: Exhibited at S.A. Association of Arts Members’ exhibition
- March: Commissioned by Pretoria University to draw a portrait of Alumnus Heyneke Meyer, Newly appointed Springbok Coach.
- April: Curated "Alumni"exhibition at new TUT Gallery
Exhibited in same exhibition.
Opening speaker at Exhibition of Tania Wegemoed, Este Mcleod at Tina Skukan Gallery, Pretoria.
Judged drawings at Pretoria Eisteddfod
- August: Guest artist at Rosebank Rotary Hyde Park Art Fair.
- September: Gave Figure Drawing Workshop at Ina Millman and Kobus Terry Art Retreat, Clarens.
Opening speaker at 32nd Medical practitioners’ Art Exhibition, Adler Museum, WITS Medical School.
- October: Exhibited with Ingrid Stevens and Ariana van Heerden at "LTD" Exhibition, Arts Association, Pretoria
- January: Gave figure drawing workshop to staff of "Joe Public" Advertising agency, Design Quarter, Johannesburg.
Returned to TUT to teach first year figure drawing.
- February: Commisioned to draw three portraits of the senior staff members of the Department of Security Studies, TUT
Invited By SANAVA (South African Association of the Visual Arts) to participate in “Dialogues,” an exhibition that will be shown in France.
Participated in an exhibition curated by Gordon Froud, called: "Tom
Waits for no Man." This exhibition toured the country.
(9th) Opening speech at the TUT Art Gallery, Fourth Year Student exhibition.
- June : Exhibited in "Dialogues" exhibition sponsored by SANAVA, in Paris.
Figure drawing workshop at the Centurion Arts Society.
Exhibited at “"Innibos" Arts Festival, Nelspruit.
Judging Committee of Arts Alive Exhibition, WHPS
Exhibited at Arts Alive Exhibition, WHPS
- July: Exhibited at the Pretoria Country Club Group Exhibition.
Part of the selection committee for Limpopo Region for the 2013 Sasol New Signatures Competition.
- November: Exhibited with students and friends From Parkhurst and Pretoria at the Tina Skukan Gallery
- February: Started presenting monthly Figure Drawing Workshops at The Battissphere at Pretoria High School for Boys.
- March: Opening speaker at "Erotica" exhibition at Art Lovers 1932.
Opening speaker at Group exhibition at Ali van Jaarsveld studio.
- April: Opening speaker at Izanne Wiid exhibition at Art Lovers 1932
- May: Opening speaker at Anna Liebenberg exhibition at Art Lovers 1932
- June: Exhibited SPI Portrait at the Rotary Hyde Park Art Festival.
Opening speaker at "Creative Melange" Exhibition at St. Lorient Gallery,
Opening Speaker at Erotica Exhibition, Art Lovers 1932
Judge at the Art Lovers 1932 art competition with Loeritha Saayman and Diane Victor
Opening speaker at Anna Lierbenberg Exhibition, Art Lovers 1932
Opening Speaker for Inanda Page Exhibition, Art Lovers 1932
Opening speaker at Maritha von Ameron Coetzee’s exhibition at the Arts Association, Pretoria.
- October: Exhibited at "Art Angels" exhibition, Circa Gallery.
- March: Opening Speaker at the Leonardo Gallery in Moreletta Park for Jacques Muller and Deon Theron.
Judging at the annual art competition at Art Lovers 1932 with Loeritha Saayman and Diane Victor.
- April: Exhibited at the Arts Association "Gran Cavallo" Exhibition to mark World Art Day on the 15th of April.
- February: Invited by the South African Mint to design a collector's set of Sterling
Silver coins, a Crown and Tickey, depicting South African inventions,
innovations and firsts. The first in the series depicts the "Dolos" concrete
structures used globally for stabilizing vulnerable coastlines.
- April: Judged work at the National Eisteddfod Academy with Loeritha Saayman and Antoinette Murdoch.
- June: Participated in the Design advisory panel of judges to assist with the design of new coins proposed to be launched in 2017
Exhibited at the University of Johannesburg Gallery along with sculptor Lwandiso Njara. The exhibition is titled “Nothing cast in stone."
- July: Judged art works at Art Lovers 1932 Artist of the year Competition with Loeritha Saayman and Johan Myburgh
Assisted in the production of the second in the series of coins depicting South African inventions, innovations and firsts. This one was the Heart Transplant set.
- February: Lecturing part-time at Tuks Fine Arts Dept.
- May: Solo exhibition at Art Lovers 1932 "Re-View"
The third in the series of SA Mint coins is the "CAT Scan" set, for which I
drew a portrait of the inventor, Allan Cormack.
- June: Exhibited at Tina Skukan Gallery with the Arcadia Scout Hall Life Drawing group
- July: Exhibited at Stuart Trent Gallery on "Mentors and Peers" exhibition.
- August: One of the three judges at the Sanlam Portrait awards exhibition at the Rust-en-Vrede Gallery in Cape Town.
Participated in the Turbine Art Fair, Johannesburg, represented by the Millennium Gallery.
- September: Judged at Centurion Arts Association: "Artist of the year" Competition.
Delivered opening speech at the TUT Fine Arts Staff exhibition. Pretoria Art Museum.
Represented in private collections in South Africa, Europe and America.
I was approached by a promotions company for students to do drawings at the Westcliff Hotel.
They should draw diners at a "French" evening. The students "did brilliantly" and were
paid handsomely and Fed French cuisine!
They were: Sarina van Wyk; Yolanda Louw; Calvin Mahlake; Peaceful Kunou; Desiree Motene; Liza Claassen; Thami Dlamini. Cornelia Stoop.
The SABC contacted me about a student to draw portraits on a TV show, and I sent Mbongeni Fakdze, 1C, and he did the job, the show will be aired sometime in November.